Recent and Favorites
Astrofood, Priorities and Pandemics: Reflections of an Ultra-Processed Breakfast Program and Contemporary Dysbiotic Drift. Prescott SL and Logan AC. Challenges. August 2017
Down to Earth: Planetary Health and Biophilosophy in the Symbiocene Epoch. Prescott SL and Logan AC. Challenges. August 2017
Transforming Life: A Broad View of the Developmental Origins of Health and Disease Concept from an Ecological Justice Perspective. Prescott SL, Logan AC. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016 Nov 3;13(11). pii: E1075. PMID: 27827896
The Human Microbiome, Biodiversity and Mental Health: Moving Toward a New Clinical Ecology for the 21st Century? SL Prescott, R Millstein, M Katzman, AC Logan. Int Journal Biodiversity. Volume 2016 (2016), Article ID 2718275,
Major depressive disorder: probiotics may be an adjuvant therapy. Logan AC, Katzman M. Med Hypotheses. 2005;64(3):533-8.
NB: This landmark paper - submitted in 2004 - spelt out the scientific framework for beneficial microbes in promotion of mental health. It was 10 years ahead of its time,
Acne vulgaris, probiotics and the gut-brain-skin axis - back to the future? Bowe WP, Logan AC. Gut Pathog. 2011 Jan 31;3(1):1. doi: 10.1186/1757-4749-3-1.
NB: This landmark paper - accessed more than 120,000 times - brought to life the forgotten work of dermatologist John H. Stokes.
Fermented foods, microbiota, and mental health: ancient practice meets nutritional psychiatry. Eva M Selhub, Alan C Logan, and Alison C Bested J Physiol Anthropol. 2014; 33: 2.
AC Logan, FN Jacka, SL Prescott, Immune-Microbiota Interactions: Dysbiosis as a Global Health. Current Allergy Asthma Reports 2016 Jan;16(2):13. PMID: 26768621
JM. Craig, AC Logan, SL Prescott. Natural Environments, Nature Relatedness and the Ecological Theatre: Connecting Satellites and Sequencing to Shinrin-yoku. J Physiol Anthropol. 2016 Jan 13;35(1):
Other selected publications:
- Alan C. Logan, Martin Katzmann. Quo Vadis, Probiotics? Human Research Supports Further Study of Beneficial Microbes in Mental Health. EBioMedicine. in press
- Susan L. Prescott and Alan C. Logan. Down to Earth: Planetary Health and Biophilosophy in the Symbiocene Epoch. Challenges. 2017, 8 (2): 19
- Susan Prescott, Danica Larcombe, Alan C Logan, Christina West, Wesley Burks, Luis Caraballo, Michael Levin, Eddie Van Etten, Pierre Horwitz, Anita Kozyrskyj, Dianne Campbell, on behalf of the members of the WAO Committee on Barrier Disease Issues and the Microbiome. The skin microbiome: impact of modern environments on skin ecology, barrier integrity, and systemic immune programming. World Allergy Org J. 2017 10:29 PMID: 28855974
- Alan C. Logan, Susan L. Prescott. Astrofood, Priorities and Pandemics: Reflections of an Ultra-Processed Breakfast Program and Contemporary Dysbiotic Drift. Challenges, 2017. 8(2), 24
- Harald Renz, Patrick G. Holt, Michael Inouye, Alan C. Logan, Susan L. Prescott, Peter D. Sly. An exposome perspective: early life events and immune development in a changing world. J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2017 Jul;140(1):24-40
- Logan AC, Jacka FN, Prescott SL. Immune-microbiota interactions: dysbiosis is a global health issue. Curr Allergy Rep 2016 Jan;16(2):13
- Prescott SL, Logan AC. Transforming life: a broad view of the developmental origins of health and disease concept from an ecological justice perspective. Int J Environ Res Pub Health 2016 Nov 3;13(11). pii: E1075
- Prescott SL, Millstein RA, Katzman MA, Logan AC. Biodiversity, the human microbiome and mental health: moving toward a new clinical ecology for the 21st Century? Int J Biodiversity 2016;2016:1-18.
- Craig JM, Logan AC, Prescott SL. Natural environments, nature relatedness and the ecological theater: connecting satellites and sequencing to shinrin-yoku. J Physiol Anthropol. 2016 Jan 13;35(1):1.
- Logan AC, Jacka FN, Craig JM, Prescott SL. The microbiome and mental health: looking back, moving forward with lessons from allergic diseases. Clin Psychopharmacol Neurosci 2016;14(2):131-47
- Sarris J, Logan AC, Akbaraly T, Amminger P, Balanza-Martinez V, Freeman MP, et al. The International Society for Nutritional Psychiatry Research (ISNPR) consensus position statement: nutritional medicine in modern psychiatry. World Psychiatry 2015;Oct;14(3):370-1.
- Logan AC, Katzman MA, Balanza-Martinez V. Natural environments, ancestral diets, and microbial ecology: is there a modern "paleo-deficit disorder"? Part II. J Physiol Anthropol 2015 Mar 10;34:9.
- Sarris J, Logan AC, Akbaraly T, Amminger P, Balanza-Martinez V, Freeman MP, et al. Nutritional Medicine as mainstream in psychiatry. Lancet Psychiatry 2015;2:271-74.
- Carrasco D, Stecher M, Lefebvre GC, Logan AC, Moy R. An open-label, phase 2 study of MABp1 monotherapy for the treatment of acne vulgaris and psychiatric comorbidity. J Drugs Dermatol 2015;14:560-564.
- Logan AC, Katzman MA, Balanza-Martinez V. Natural environments, ancestral diets, and microbial ecology: is there a modern "paleo-deficit disorder"? Part I. J Physiol Anthropol 2015 Jan 31;34:1.
- Mantler A, Logan AC. Natural environments and mental health. Adv Integr Med 2015;2:5-12.
- Logan AC, Jacka FN. Nutritional psychiatry research: an emerging discipline and its intersection with global urbanization, environmental challenges and the evolutionary mismatch. J Physiol Anthropol 2014;33:22.
- McCarron P, Logan AC, Giddings SD, Quilliam MA. Analysis of β-N-methylamino-L-alanine (BMAA) in spirulina-containing supplements by liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. Aquat Biosyst 2014;10:5.
- Selhub EM, Logan AC, Bested AC. Fermented foods, microbiota and mental health: ancient wisdom meets nutritional psychiatry. J Physiol Anthropol 2014;33:2.
- Bowe WP, Patel NB, Logan AC. Acne vulgaris, probiotics and the gut-brain-skin axis: from anecdote to translational medicine. Benef Microbes 2013 Jul 25:1-15.
- Bested AC, Logan AC, Selhub EM. Intestinal microbiota, probiotics and mental health: from Metchnikoff to modern advances: Part I - autointoxication revisited. Gut Pathog 2013;5:5-21.
- Bested AC, Logan AC, Selhub EM. Intestinal microbiota, probiotics and mental health: from Metchnikoff to modern advances: Part II – contemporary contextual research. Gut Pathog 2013;5:3-17.
- Bested AC, Logan AC, Selhub EM. Intestinal microbiota, probiotics and mental health: from Metchnikoff to modern advances: Part III – convergence toward clinical trials. Gut Pathog 2013;5:4-17.
- Logan AC, Selhub EM. Vis medicatrix naturae: does nature “minister to the mind”? Biopsychosoc Med 2012;6:11.
- Bowe WP, Logan AC. Antioxidants in acne vulgaris and aging: focus on green tea and feverfew. J Drugs Dermatol (Suppl) – 2012;11:s11-s15.
- Bowe WP, Patel N, Logan AC. Acne vulgaris: the role of oxidative stress and the potential therapeutic value of local and systemic antioxidants. J Drugs Dermatol 2012;11:742-46.
- Bowe WP, Logan AC. Acne vulgaris, probiotics and the gut-brain-skin axis – back to the future? Gut Pathog 2011;3:1.
- Logan AC, Hallberg O. Skin cancer epidemic in a wireless world. Pathophysiol 2011;18:167-9.
- Bowe WP, Logan AC. Clinical implications of lipid peroxidation in acne vulgaris: old wine in new bottles. Lipids Health Dis 2010;9:141.
- Rao V, Rao AV, Bested AC, Beaulne TM, Katzman MA, Iorio C, Berardi JM, Logan AC. A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of a probiotic in emotional symptoms of chronic fatigue syndrome. Gut Pathog 2009;1:6.
- Logan AC. Omega-3 and BDNF regulation: eicosapentaenoic acid may play a key role in limitation of CNS injury. J Neurotrauma 2008;25:1499.
- Katzman M, Logan AC. Acne vulgaris: nutritional factors may be influencing psychological sequelae. Med Hypotheses 2007;69:1080-4.
- Logan AC. Dietary fat, fiber and acne vulgaris. J Am Acad Dermatol 2007;57:1092-3.
- Logan AC. Dietary fiber, mood and behavior. Nutrition 2006;22:213-14.
- Logan AC. Broad divide in research and marketing of natural products. Am J Hypertension 2005 18(6):889.
- Logan AC, Katzman M. Major depressive disorder: Probiotics may be an adjuvant therapy. Med Hypotheses 2005 64(3):533-8.
- Logan AC. Omega-3 fatty acids and major depression: A primer for the mental health professional. Lipids Health Dis 2004 Nov 9;3:25.
- Logan AC, Rao V, Irani D. Chronic fatigue syndrome: lactic acid bacteria may be of therapeutic value. Med Hypotheses 2003; 60(6): 915-23.